6 Amazing Diy Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes
I have a great post for you guys today puppy lovers. Guess what, 6 amazing diy healthy homemade dog food recipes your puppy will love.
6 Amazing Diy healthy homemade dog food recipes
1. Beef Stew, Doggie Style
A much healthier alternative to canned dog food, this homemade dog food recipes is loaded with fresh protein and vitamins and can be stored in your fridge for most of the week.
- 1 pound of beef stew meat
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup of green beans, diced
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of water or organic vegetable oil, plus 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil for frying
Total: Makes approx 4 cups (or 32 fluid ounces)
- Cook the sweet potato in a microwave for 5 to 8 minutes until firm but tender. Set aside.
- Slice the stew pieces into smaller chunks, about the size of a nickel.
- Cook the stew pieces in a tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until well-done.
- Remove the beef chunks from the pan, reserving the drippings.
- Dice the sweet potato.
- Heat the drippings over medium-low heat. Slowly add flour and water into the dripping while whisking to create a thick gravy.
- Add the meat, sweet potato, carrots and green beans into the gravy and stir to coat.
- Cook until the carrots are tender – about 10 minutes.
- Serve cool.
- Store remaining stew in the fridge for up to five days.
2. Turkey, Rice and Veggie Mix
This is an excellent homemade dog food recipes for pooches who may need to keep the pounds off. With a good balance of lean animal protein, healthy carbs and veggies, it yields 10 cups of dog food and can be refrigerated for up to five days.
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 (16 ounces) package frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower
Total: Makes approx 12 cups (or 96 fluid ounces)
- Place the water, ground turkey, rice and rosemary into a large Dutch oven.
- Stir until the ground turkey is broken up and evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Easy Crockpot Beef & Rice Meal
We love this homemade dog food recipes for its nutritional value, its quick prep time (10 minutes) and the easy crockpot cooking. It yields 12 cups and can be frozen for future feedings.
- 2 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 ½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 ½ cups diced carrots
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 4 cups of water
Total: Makes approx 11 cups (or 88 fluid ounces)
- Stir in all ingredients with 4 cups of water in a crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 to 6 hours or high heat for 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir as needed and cool to room temperature.
4. Pumpkin Dog Biscuits
Are you looking for a doggie digestive aid? Pumpkin is easy on sour stomachs and can help alleviate your dog’s digestive issues. These homemade dog biscuits are a great way to introduce an all-natural tummy aid into your pup’s diet.
- 1/3 cup extremely cold water
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 2 cups whole grain brown rice flour
- 1 large egg (you can omit this if your dog is allergic to eggs)
- 2 1/2 tablespoon flaxseed oil or olive oil
Total: Makes approx 24 1 oz balls (or 24 fluid ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 320 – 350 degrees.
- Use two baking sheets and baking paper to avoid sticking.
- Mix lightly beaten egg and pumpkin in a separate container until smooth. (If you don’t want to use egg then smooth out the pumpkin puree separately and proceed to the next step.)
- In a larger bowl, combine flax-seed oil and brown rice flour.
- With constant stirring, add the pumpkin mixture to the rice mixture and slowly add water. Be sure to leave some of the rice to be used as some sort of toppings.
- Hand mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Using two pieces of baking or waxed paper, roll dough out to desired thickness.
- Remove the top baking paper.
- Evenly pour rice flour onto the top of the dough and lightly press it to the waxed baking paper.
- Remove the paper and cut to desired sizes.
- Place in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is completely dry.
- Cool and store in a dry plastic or glass container until ready to be served.
5. Grain-Free Dog Food Recipe: Chicken Jerky Strips
Don’t trust store-bought rawhides, which often have a ton of additives and preservatives? Homemade chicken jerky strips are a perfect replacement. This grain-free recipe is a much healthier alternative and very easy to make. Store them in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks (if they last that long!).
- 2 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Total: Makes approx 10-20 strips
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Trim all excess fat off the chicken breasts
- Cut into 1/8 inch thick strips using a paring knife
- Bake for 2 hours on a baking sheet until the strips are dry and hard
- Cool completely before presenting to your pooch.
6. Frozen Banana Treats
After a long walk in the hot sun, what pooch wouldn’t want a refreshing treat? We absolutely love this simple homemade dog food recipes – yogurt, banana and peanut butter. It’s a frozen smoothie for your dog. Need we say more?
- 4 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 bananas, ripe, peeled & mashed
Total: Makes approx 8 1 oz treats
- Blend all ingredients into a puree.
- Pour into 4-ounce plastic cups (ice trays or toddler popsicle trays work well).
- Freeze until firm.
- Can be kept in the freezer for up to two weeks.
Recommended reading: 3 Healthy Dog Food Recipes Your Dog Will Love
Did you enjoy reading the 6 Amazing Diy Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes post? Share it on facebook and pinterest.